Thursday 17 March 2016

Why 'The Other Side of the Door' was successfully horrible

Let me begin this with me saying I didn't think this was a bad movie I'm just a dick and if I don't like something (like this movie) I tend to find every little detail to moan about and that is exactly what I'm going to do in this post. This will certainly contain spoilers for the film but that shouldn't matter as I'll be doing you a favour if you read this and choose not to see the film.

We then cut to Maria and Michael walking down a beach discussing their future, are they going to stay in India or move back to America, etc, which reminds me, the only thing that has changed in this horribly cliché horror movie is the fact that they are in India, its still a white American family and a creepy kid. Anyway back to the beach scene that confused me, the two ask a young girl whether they should stay in India to raise their family, to which the young girl replies with pointing to Maria and screaming while her face melts or something, this is the first in a few pointless jump scares that aren't that scary. This one though has absolutely nothing to do with the plot or anything as it happens well before everything kicks off in the movie.
My next problem with this film is that Piki, who is the family's maid or paid help or whatever (she is basically their maid), point is she is made out to be religious. There is even a scene where we see her praying but she still tells Maria about the abandoned temple where she can speak to her son again, I know you're thinking 'whats wrong with that?' Well let me tell you, she tells Maria this while standing next to her hospital bed, after she just tried to kill herself because she can't cope with the fact that her son is dead. Still not that bad, she is just trying to help Maria, right? The problem with it is that Piki knows that if Maria goes to this temple to speak to her son, Oliver, and opens the door bad things will happen (I say bad things because by this point in the movie I kinda zoned out and didn't listen to what would happen), this is a really bad idea for the simple reason Maria just tried to kill herself because she misses her son and so obviously she's going to open the door.

Next up is when Maria goes to the temple to speak to Oliver, to say goodbye or sorry for letting him drown or whatever, I don't really know anymore my mind was elsewhere for the majority of this film. Although, I still remember how bad it was, so Maria is at this temple she's done all the prerequisites for speaking to your dead loved one through a door and she's waiting and waiting and waiting for what seems like forever (you can see why I zoned out). Eventually there's repeated banging on the door which was convenient as me and Maria were both nodding off to sleep out of boredom. Maria then sits speaking with Oliver saying nothing of consequence, only stupid things like 'come closer to the door'. Oliver keeps pleading with her to let him in, to which she tells him 'no' he's not aloud. This was pretty surprising as I thought she'd open the door straight away, since she just tried to swallow a bottle of pills to see him again. Oliver see's that his pleading to be let in isn't going to work, so he just tells his mother he has to leave, to which Maria does exactly what I knew she was going to do and jumps up and opens the door to see nothing. By the end of the movie I was hoping there was a gas leak in the temple and she just hallucinated the whole thing, but no, this wasn't the twist unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment